Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Out cyclist thinks everyone is worried about him looking at their genitals

From the Scottish Sun, an update on Graeme Obree, who came out earlier this year (read HERE):

FLYING Scotsman Graeme Obree was hailed a hero after bravely revealing he was gay earlier this year. The divorced dad-of-two decided he could no longer live a lie, and exclusively told The Scottish Sun the truth about his sexuality in January.
But, despite the plaudits, the cycling legend has warned homosexual sport stars NOT to come out until AFTER they retire.

And he also urged gay SPL footballers to hide their sexual preferences — for fear of being shown the red card by their team-mates.

The 45-year-old said: "I don't think being gay and an active sportsman is a good thing. "While I was competing and in a changing room environment there was no way I would come out. "You'd always be worrying if other people were thinking, 'Is he checking me out?' "

He added: "There are SPL footballers who are gay, I know that for a fact. "But if I was in their position there is no way I would come out. "It would be too awkward in the dressing room. "You need to be retired first. Even now I wouldn't do coaching because it's still an awkward situation. Sure, I got a flood of letters from people supporting me. But now people have moved on and don't give a monkey's. They'd rather talk about cycling, which is great."

Obree, from Saltcoats, Ayrshire, became a national hero in 1993 when he smashed the world hour record using his 'Old Faithful' bike made from washing machine parts.
He went on to win the individual pursuit at the world championships twice in the 1990s.

But troubled Obree also endured a private battle with depression. He twice tried to commit suicide as he struggled to come to terms with his sexuality.

Obree celebrated coming out of the closest by building a sparkling PINK bike. He said: "I am floating along in my own single life. I like being out on my bike, that's all I need right now. Although it is a love-hate relationship — it's an obsession which I need to get by in my life." He added: "I still love my ex-wife Anne to bits, she is an amazing person and is my best friend."

We're struck by Graeme's singular obsession about locker rooms and what fellow athletes might be thinking. It sounds like he has internalized some homophobic clichés. As he himself notes, most people just don't care. In any case, it seems a pity for him to make his own worries a recipe for others. We're going to guess that there are far more athletes who are happy about being out than who regret it.

No comments: