Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Carlin Yetts reports from San Francisco's WWB III wrestling tournament: part 4

You may remember Carlin Yetts as our 700th Facebook fan. Carlin is a wrestler from Columbus, Ohio, and in part to prepare for Gay Games 9 in nearby Cleveland+Akron, he has launched a new LGBT wrestling club in his town. 

He's back from San Francisco, where he competed in the third WWB wrestling tournament hosted by Golden Gate Wrestling Club.

Here is his final report on his experiences there for the Gay Games blog. 



Getting up Saturday for the WWB Cup, I felt like I was a freshman in high school all over again. New to freestyle wrestling, Ii took a crash course in the rules a practice the night before. So it was now or never, and I was ready to get at it. Since I left my singlet at home I was very honored to wear one of Gene's. Those who know Gene and me know that I'm a bit bigger than him, so while it may have fit fine on Gene, on me, it left nothing to the imagination. So singlet, shoes, and knee pads on, I'm ready t owrestle in my first freestyle tournament ever.

My first match was against John Flavia from Southern California. Still in the folkstyle mindset, I wanted to give it my all. I didn't travel out here to get pushed around just because I don't know any freestyle moves. The firstt period went to John. I was giving up points for being pushed out of bounds. I didn't realize that this was giving him points! Like I said, I'm a newbie to freestyle.
(Thanks to Golden Gate Wrestling Club for this video of the match)

Another great thing was to be coached by Roger during the break. He calmed me down and got my focus back. In the second period John went in for a shot and I pulled a nice Turk on him. In the end, John won the period and the match. I was so pumped up, because even though I lost I knew I had gone out and given it my all. Then Gene came over to me and told me that I had done his singlet proud and that it was the best match he had seen. When he said that it almost brought me to tears. To hear that from the man who was at the first Gay Games say that to me, a guy who knows nothing about freestyle, was a true honor.

My next match was against Golden Gate Wrestling Club's very own Ross Capdeville. I had watched him wrestle in the previous round, and decided I was going to try to work the inside for a bearhug or throw. But
once I went for it and he saw what I was trying to do, he took it away from me. Ross won both periods but again I made him work for it and gave it my all.

After the tournament we all went back to Gene's house to eat and for the awards. John and I were given the award for the most exciting match. I was very honored that Gene and Roger chose our match.

This week has been such a eye-opening experience. Meeting new friends from different parts of the world. Learning a new form of wrestling in three days. Just that feeling of togetherness when all these clubs come together in one big family. No matter what your race, sexual orientation, or where you come from we are all wrestlers and we love this sport.

See you all at Sin City in January in Las Vegas!

No comments: