Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Akil Patterson shares his trying coming out story and calls for role models for gay athletes of color

Our friend wrestler Akil Patterson of the Patterson Project has written about his coming out on the Our Group blog:

Coming out to my parents was easy because over the years they had been prepped while I slowly stood up for LGBT issues around our house. Coming out to my college football team was a different story. I felt segregated by the coaching staff and players. Only one person had my back, a 6’5 white male with red hair and tattoos all over his body. He looked more like the Devil’s son than anything else, but he was a great ally. He lived with me the year before I came out and we bonded over everything, including my sexuality, as long as I didn’t bring boys home. The coaching staff was not hateful but they feared that my sexuality would make others on the team feel uncomfortable. I was asked to live in a nearby town, and to only come on campus for class and football related events. These “provisions” hurt me, but I felt that this was the only way to compete.

I felt alone and afraid because of what was being asked of me. I hid my life from the world. I spent much of that time in my one bedroom apartment drunk and alone, waiting for something to pick me up again. As a black man it was even worse because I didn’t have anyone to turn to that looked like me. I lived in the town of Belvenon, Pennsylvania with a population of around 2000 people. I would guess 95% of the people were white and the rest of the town Mixed. I was the lone black male in the apartment I stayed in. There was only one bar and three liquor stores in town. I was lost. Luckily, I found strength as the season wore on in a very unlikely ally. His name was Carl Jay. Carl both loved and feared me because I was as tough as it got on the team. Carl played tackle next to me. Of all of the O-linemen who played with us, Carl was the last person to really accept my sexuality. He hesitated mainly because of the background he came from.


Keep reading HERE.

No comments: