Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Jenelle Devits tells her story as a student athlete on Our Group blog

From the blog of student athlete organization Our Group:

I remember I was 12 years old when I had my first same-sex crush. I played on a travel soccer team. The best player on our team happened to be very pretty. I remember realizing this crush and not knowing what it meant. I cried hysterically in my room that night thinking, “I can’t be gay!” My mom came in and asked me what was wrong. I told her that I thought I had a crush on my teammate. She sat down and told me that it probably wasn’t a crush, but perhaps I was “jealous” of how good she was or how pretty she was. My mom then said it was ok and that I should get some rest. I remember thinking she was wrong.

More than 10 years later I now know that she was wrong.

It wasn’t until high school that I realized I wanted to date girls. Unfortunately, I was internally homophobic and rejected that realization. However, my senior year I let go of my belief that being interested in the same-sex was somehow wrong or immoral. I let go of my fear that people would judge me or hate me. I no longer cared.

Being an athlete was crucial to this enlightenment. I was surrounded by friends, some of whom were also interested in girls, and teammates who were supportive. I was involved on a team that was inclusive and respectful. Looking back, it was actually my teammates and friends (most of whom are still my close friends) that helped form my confidence to be myself.

This carried over into college. My freshman year I walked onto a Division I women’s basketball team. Luckily, I was not the only “out” LGBT person in the locker room. In fact, I had an “out” head coach. The environment that she created was welcoming and inclusive. She made sure that respect was the number one ingredient in our team. I still believe that respect is key to a great TEAM.

Keep reading HERE.

No comments: