Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gay Games profile: martial artist Ellen Sullivan

Gay Games VIII media partner Outsports has launched a series of athlete profiles. Tell your story to the world! More info HERE.

And read a this profile of martial artist Ellen Sullivan HERE.

Here's an extract:

I live in Chicago and competed in my first Gay Games here in 2006. I had only been studying tai chi for a year, but I had to compete against black belts because I had already earned a black belt, even though it was in karate.

My goal was not to look out of place with my fellow competitors, most of who had been training in their styles for many years. My teacher spent extra time helping me prepare, then she and several of my fellow tai chi students came to cheer me on. Many friends at my old karate school were also there to compete. We had a great time. I didn’t win a medal, but I certainly didn’t feel out of place.

I’m looking forward to my second Games. Once again, I’ll be competing in martial arts, doing a tai chi empty-hands form. My goal this time around is similar – not to look out of place the other participants and to represent my school, the Tai Chi Center of Chicago, and its lineage to the best of my ability. I’m also looking forward to my third trip to Germany. On my first two trips, I was in denial about my sexuality. This time, at 47 years of age and in a 13-year relationship, I’ll see the “Kölner Dom” from an entirely new perspective.

No comments: