Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"The Road to Cologne": Rene Silvin

Bodybuilder, longtime HIV/AIDS survivor, and friend of the FGG René Silvin leads off a series of profiles of Gay Games VIII contenders in The Queer Times' "The Road to Cologne". Here's an extract from this profile:

After surviving late-stage non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 1994, I was an emaciated, weakened, middle-aged man who could barely walk. Gradually, some strength returned and I learned to appreciate the rewards of bodybuilding.

My first gym-based training consisted of walking on a treadmill. I eventually progressed to building strength and endurance and I soon began to enjoy my daily hours “working out”. Becoming and staying fit grew to be more important than any other activity. Gradually, I replaced toxic, destructive behavior with what I call “my healthy addiction”, in other words going to the gym. My ability to compete in the over-60 bodybuilding class at the Gay Games represents the culmination of thirty years of struggle. It is a perfect metaphor – and reward for – being healthy.

Being of assistance to those less fortunate can only be achieved if one is healthy. No better symbol exists for “thriving with AIDS” than competing in an international event. Such an opportunity would not exist for me absent the Gay games. Consequently, I thank the Federation of Gay Games’ organizers for giving me an opportunity to attend, compete in and enjoy the camaraderie of this life altering experience.

Read more HERE.

No comments: