Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"The Road to Cologne": Chuck Coleman

Another profile from The Road to Cologne in Living in the Queer Times:

I remember longing to be loved and to love other boys as early as 1st grade. By the 3rd grade I already had sexualized these desires. At the same time, the older I got, the more I knew that being a homosexual would lead to physical assault and social rejection by these same boys. Even though I had an athletic physique, I would not allow myself to participate in sports because the emotional and physical closeness might somehow reveal my sexuality. As a result, I never learned to be competitive in a healthy way with other men; I never learned to challenge my body and mind with physical exertion; and I never learned how to catch a ball. From childhood to the time I decided to participate in the Gay Games, I never fully understood what it meant to be a man among men.

[...]

Now, I am a 50 year old man still possessing all the positive characteristics I had at 47 with the addition of power lifting gym buddies both gay and straight as my closest friends. With three local power lifting meets under my belt, I am ready and eager to get to Cologne. I can’t believe that I am competing with other men in an intensely physical sport while being totally free to be gay without hesitation. I may never be able to throw a ball, but gay power lifting supported by the Gay Games has done more for my self-esteem and self-acceptance than all my years, and I do mean years, of psychotherapy!!

Read the full profile of Chuck Coleman HERE.

No comments: