Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Monday, March 19, 2012

LGBT sport figures among Olympic torch bearers

This piece from PinkNews misses Trevor Burchick from Manchester's Northern Wave:

Among the Olympics torch-bearers named this morning are gay figures from the sporting world.

7,300 torch-bearers were named this morning and will carry the flame for 70 days and 8,000 through the UK in July ahead of the opening of the Olympics on 27 July.

Chris Basiurski, Chair of the Gay Football Supporters’ Network said of being nominated: “I am delighted and humbled at being chosen to carry the Olympic flame. For many years LGBT footballers have been on the fringes of society and at the GFSN we have worked hard to send out the message that football is for all regardless of sexual orientation.

“When I first came out I remember being told by my University LGBT society that I needed to ‘drop the ridiculous straight obsession’ with football if I was going to be happy in the gay world. I am really proud that the GFSN has helped change this attitude and that the UK’s LGBT footballing community is so strong. I am very excited!”

The chairman of London’s gay rugby team, the King’s Cross Steelers, also said today he was ‘humbled’ to be named as a torch-bearer in the Olympic Torch Relay. Tim Sullivan, 51, was nominated by team members after 2 years leading the West Ham-based Steelers, who last year became the European champions in gay and inclusive rugby.

He said: ‘I’m humbled. It really blew me away that my name was put forward, and to be selected is a really strange feeling. I think I’ve been chosen because the Steelers are so diverse as a team. We’re one of the nearest clubs to the Olympic Stadium, too, so I think they’re pleased to have a real local bearing the torch!’

Keep reading HERE.

No comments: