Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A personal message from a Swimmer for Equality


After I won four medals for swimming in the 1996 Olympics (including two gold medals), I was diagnosed with Type I diabetes. My doctors told me I would never compete again at the Olympics or at other major competitions for my sport. No other athletes had done it.

I tried anyways. I rebuilt my strength, and I made it to the Olympics in Sydney in 2000. That year I won gold again, breaking the American record for the 50-meter freestyle. I took the Gold Medal for this same race again in Athens in 2004. Altogether I have won 10 Olympic medals.

I know a thing or two about winning and perseverance. And this summer, I'm working to help LGBT people win full equality as a committed ally, by swimming in Equality California's Second Annual Swim for Equality.

Through the Swim for Equality, dozens of swimmers will come to California's coast to participate in open water swims in Malibu and from Alcatraz Island.

They will be raising awareness and critical funds to advance LGBT rights in California. 'll be with them. Will you?


Swim for Equality - Malibu
Saturday, September 24

This isn't just an event for swimmers. There are lots of ways to get involved, like being a Swim Advocate who helps a Swimmer to meet their fundraising goal, or donating, or joining us at a Finish Line Party to celebrate the Swimmer's accomplishments and renew your commitment to LGBT rights.

Sign up today. Let's work together to make LGBT people equal in every way. Achieving full equality won't be easy, and there will be setbacks. But if we persevere, I know we'll reach our finish line.

Regards,

Gary Hall, Jr.
Ten-time Olympic Medalist &
2011 Swim for Equality Participant

No comments: