Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Profile of Assembly delegate from GLORY Sailing, Christoph Gaspers-Carouge

After working in key positions for the success of Gay Games VIII, Christoph is now the delegate of FGG member organisation GLORY to the Federation General Assembly. Here's his story of his involvement with the Gay Games:

I first heard about the Gay Games for the first time in 2002. My former boyfriend (don't worry: we didn't break up: we got married!) participated in the figure skating competition in Sydney. At the time, I really didn't know what the Gay Games were about, but when Philippe returned to Germany, I was inspired by his excitement about the special atmosphere, the overwhelming experience, and the emotions he felt there, and wished would have been with him in Sydney.

And so I knew I had to be part of the next Gay Games, and I knew it would be in sailing: ever since I was a small boy it had been my dream to sail on my own boat, and this dream came true 11 years ago when I started sailing on a small lake in my hometown, and now I would be sailing on Lake Michigan against the magnificent Chicago skyline.



I was so keen to participate in Chicago that I managed to convince a straight couple to round out my crew. At my first Gay Games I discovered the experience that Philippe had told me about with such enthusiasm: being in Chicago and making so many new friends was an amazing adventure, one that changed my life.

Cologne had already been selected as host of Gay Games VIII, but sailing wasn't on the program during the bid. The sailors present in Chicago asked Games Cologne (the local host committee) and the FGG if sailing could be added for Cologne, and both agreed, as long as it could be organised properly. I raised my hand once too often, and found myself in charge of sailing for Gay Games VIII!

I needed to rise to the challenge I had set for myself, and so in preparation for Cologne 2010 I visited lots of regattas in Europe, and began inviting the sailing community to Cologne. While getting to know the European sailing community I worked with the board of GLORY, the GLBT sailing association, and also became a delegate at FGG meetings.

Not only was I promoting and organising sailing, but I was of course involved in the sports steering committee of Games Cologne, as was.Philippe, who was in charge of running figure skating. Both of use were on the sports steering committee, so the Gay Games soon took over our lives, even more so when I moved on to the board of directors of Games Cologne, wherer I was in charge of operations and infrastructure. The result was three years full of work, success, challenges and sleepless nights with the fabulous aim of hosting a life-changing global GLBT sport and cultural event.


These years as a volunteer have definitely influenced my life. In the years before the Games I was so distracted with the Games Cologne that my work, my relationship and my social life were out of my personal focus. Fortunately it all paid off: being part of these wonderful days in Cologne, receiving so many thanks and positive feedback from participants, seeing thousands of athletes enjoying their time in a open-minded Cologne, in a absolutely GLBT-friendly town and region... this was the best experience I could have imagined.

And after closing ceremony, my "real" life returned to normal. I work as a lighting designer and own an agency for lighting, and I was fortunate to find I still had a business after the Gay Games! For my personal life, I was fortunate that Philippe was himself so involved in organising the event, so he was able to understand the reasons I worked so many hours for the Gay Games. These years were a challenge, but we are a pretty solid couple, together for 13 years, and married for 6, and we are closer than ever.

After a short break after Gay Games VIII, I now face the task of organising the next Eurogay Cup, a gay and lesbian sailing regatta, which will take place in the Netherlands in fall 2011. Additionally I continue to work with GLORY, with the goal of increasing the involvement of European sailors, and serve as delegate for GLORY to the FGG. I look forward to belonging to this wonderful sailing and social community of the Gay Games for many years to come. The Gay Games changed my life, and I want to help them continue to change lives around the world!

No comments: