Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Matthew Mitcham in GQ Australia

From an interview and photo spread in the Australian edition of GQ Magazine:


GQ: At least that makes it easier to be a good role model. How are you enjoying that part of the job?

MM: It’s probably good for me because I always think twice about everything I do and everything I say. I could reject it and go and do whatever but I want to be a good role model for younger people, for athletes, for gay people.

GQ: Looking back, has being gay ever made life harder for you?

MM: Only when I wasn’t totally honest and open about it to myself or to other people. When you hide that kind of thing, other people can sense you’re uncomfortable. They can see that as a weakness and use it as a target to bully you. That was the case when I was quite young and only just realising I was gay. Society teaches you that gay is not as good as straight, you grow up with those ideas in your head, and you punish yourself. You
try and deny it, or wait it out, or change it. But it wasn’t until I was totally honest about it all that it wasn’t a problem. I wish I could tell everyone that and that they could just do it, to get rid of this shit, this anguish that comes with it. But that would be irresponsible of me because there are external factors for people — their family, their religion, the laws of their country.

GQ: Have you ever felt pressure to be more vocal on issues that affect the gay community?

MM: There will always be people who want you to do more. And I’m always going to feel indebted to the gay community for all the support they’ve given me. I like to think I help out as much as I can, from selling red ribbons for World AIDS Day to going to the Gay Games in Cologne this year as an ambassador. I’ll always be as active as I can, but everyone knows that while I’m still diving this is my job and it comes worst. I’m doing something for the gay community just by being an open, proud gay guy at the top of his field. Once I retire I can do lots more stuff for them.

Read in full HERE.

No comments: