Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Marcus Urban urges support for petition against Ukrainian homophobia

Out retired footballer Marcus Urban in Huffington Post (h/t Keph Senett):

Soccer is a global sport with a global following -- and it's worth a lot of money. Clubs pay big money to train and develop young, talented players, they offer bigger money to attract the biggest names, companies pay millions in sponsorship and advertisements, merchandise for clubs and players is sold around the world. The pressure to perform -- and conform -- is huge.

The cost of that pressure is simply too high. I know because I paid it. "I am a soccer player, so I can't be gay"; I used to repeat this sentence to myself. In 1991, even though I was one of an elite few of the most promising young, German players, I quit my career.

Every day, I was hiding. Pretending not to be different next to trainers, teachers, managers, fans, relatives. I struggled trying to control every gesture, and I had no life outside of soccer. Still, I wanted to play against the best so the pain endured.

In the end, I had to decide. The choice was soccer or my life. I chose life.

Now, a full 20 years later, has the situation changed? Only a few days ago, Italian team's forward Antonio Cassano said he hopes there are no gay players in his ranks at the European Football Championships (Euro 2012). He's since apologized [sic], but the attitudes linger. This Championship is televised across the world and globally reported. Entire towns and families gather to watch their home team take on the continent. Families with kids who are just like I was. Whether he realizes it or not, Cassano is telling them they must conform. He's teaching them soccer's gay gag rule.

But there are places where things are worse even than they can be on the field. In Ukraine -- where Euro 2012 is hosted this year -- Parliament is about to vote on their own version of the gay gag rule passed in Russia earlier this year. A "propaganda" law to silence any reading, writing, speech or debate on anything "gay."

When I came out, I felt alive again. I was free to speak up and speak out. A right that is about to be denied to all Ukrainians.

It's not only on the field that we need to make a difference. Instead of just reminiscing, I've decided to do something about it. I am supporting people just like me, who are living in Ukraine right now, by speaking up against this law -- and you can stand with me right now, while the attention of the entire worlds on Ukraine and Euro 2012: www.allout.org/ukraine.

Soccer players, fans, and managers alike can all help get rid of the gay gag rule, on and off the field. By speaking out against Cassano's comments the Italian manager, Cesare Prandelli, is making a real difference. Now it's Ukraine's turn -- while the global spotlight is shining on them during Euro 2012. Thousands of people around the world have sent me their own stories after they heard mine. We should all be a part of making sure that soccer, the world's game, is special for every kid including the ones who are just like me.

I hope that one day, my story is part of the distant past. A past that we fought against and one we do not want to see repeated.

No comments: