Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Gareth Johnson interviews new president of IGLA

Gareth Johnson has a great interview in Gay Star News with David Hermann, the newly elected president of FGG member organization International Lesbian and Gay Aquatics:

Why does IGLA exist?

The purpose of our organization is to create a venue for gay, lesbian and transgender athletes to compete in swimming, diving, water polo and synchro. We compete using the rules and standard established by the international maters swimming organization FINA [Fédération Internationale de Natation]. This means that all of the results of our meets, and the records that are set, are recognized internationally.

Why is it necessary to have dedicated sporting events for gay and lesbian sportspeople?

IGLA remains relevant in the 21st century, as do other gay and lesbian sports organizations because the purpose of our organizations goes beyond executing highly competitive masters sporting events.

Unlike United States Masters, British Swimming or even FINA itself, IGLA provides gay and lesbian athletes with the opportunity to socialize and interact with each other in an environment that turns our minority into the majority. This is a powerful experience for many gay athletes, especially swimmers, who feel pressure to keep their sexuality under wraps at traditional masters swim meets.

To me, IGLA is a beacon, a social outreach phenomenon that brings LGBT athletes together from around the world.

What does IGLA mean to you?

Today I swim in West Hollywood California, a jewel of gay communities, with rainbow flags flying next to the American Flag along Santa Monica Boulevard. However I spent my teens and young adult years in Kansas. In 2000, under the emotional pressure of coming to terms with my sexuality, with my fear and loathing, I considered suicide. I wake up every morning thankful that in that dark place I chose to persevere.

When I first heard of this thing called a 'gay swim team' I didn’t believe it was true. I remember my first practice in Kansas City with The Wave. It was like joining a family around the dinner table, a family I never knew I had. It has been one of the most transformative experiences of my life, and I wish I had known in 2000 that it would be this wonderful.

It is easy in West Hollywood, New York, London or Paris to forget that there are so many in our community that don’t dare to dream that there could be something amazing like a gay swim team. IGLA has the voice to reach out to those gay, lesbian and transgender men and women. To let them know that not only are they not alone, but that we’re all over the world!

No comments: