Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Gay Games story: Noel Baggett, San Francisco

Photo Golden Gate Wrestling Club
We're keen to hear your stories of your experience of preparing for and participating in the Gay Games. Here is the story of San Francisco's  Noel Baggett. What's your story? Write us!
 
Years ago I did some wrestling in high school and a little in college. It was scary for me, but I felt OK once I was on the mat. I always wanted to get back to it, but never managed to. I thought I was too old for it, but a friend encouraged me to look into it and suggested I contact the Golden Gate Wrestling Club. I went there and, at age 62, I started wrestling again.

I've always been frightened by physical confrontation. Although I don't remember, several family members have told me that I was hit a lot by several family members when I was very young. I believe I'm dealing with this fear when I wrestle.

I've been wrestling for almost a year and a half, and it's been a slow, grueling process. At first I got frustrated easily because I was so slow physically and mentally. My coaches were very patient and allowed me to grow out of that behavior. My flexibility and balance were terrible at first, but have improved a lot. My strength is good and so is my endurance. Nevertheless, I tire easily because I'm so tense. I'm slowly learning to relax when I wrestle.

I work with weights twice a week, but have made the workout more aerobic and am concentrating on free weights to get muscles to work together. I also run several times a week and am now into interval training where I do a lot of short-distance speed work.

I entered my first tournament after about six months of wrestling. I was helpless on my feet and on defense almost the whole time. At my second tournament a few months later I did even worse. I've got a fledging offense now and am in better wrestling shape. I'm still a little scared and tense, but not as much as before. Due to good coaching I've been free of serious injury. For years I had this gut feeling that I wanted to wrestle and am ecstatic that I have the opportunity to do so at my age.

-- Noel Baggett, Golden Gate Wrestling Club, April 2005

No comments: